Thursday, January 12, 2017

One Little Word - Become


I have never been one to keep New Year's Resolutions...I even make them with a grain of salt. The only resolution that I have ever been successful in keeping was when I was a young 20 something living in New York City and going out resulted in high bar tabs for the mixed drinks I loved so much. That year, my resolution was to learn to like beer. I think of it as a fiscally responsible decision. I conquered that resolution, perhaps all too well. Other resolutions have included all the things that I know I lack as a single female...housecleaning, cooking, less TV, more reading, and then some years I haven't resolved to do anything different.

My colleague introduced me to one little word. Instead of creating a list of resolutions to change myself, pick one word that you want to define what you do and where you put your energy for the year. I loved it. The first year, I was excited and picked a word...what it was I cannot recall. As that year took a turn and I had to focus any extra energy on my mother as her health was drastically declining.

Become.

This will be the year that I become. For the past three years my life has revolved around my job and the needed medical attention for my mother. My mother passed away less than a month ago. It was a death that released her from a body that broke down on her but still the emptiness that her death has left seems to be a sinkhole that gets larger everyday. My OLW this year is for her as well. I want my life that continues after her death to have meaning and be purposeful.

Become. I will become who I have always wanted to be. I have spent decades on my professional being and am constantly in awe of that person. Vedi, Vidi, Vici. I came. I saw. I conquered. But this year I want to become more of what is inside me. I want to become the writer that has lived inside since I was a little girl. I want to become a nurturer for a child. I want to become well read. I want to become healthy. I want to become a traveller. I want to become who I know I can be.

So this year, will be the year that I become.

1 comment:

  1. I have no doubt that you will become this year. You are an inspiration and a joy to be around. Look out world!

    ReplyDelete