Wednesday, March 8, 2017

#IMMOOC Week Two

"Is there a better way?"

I find myself asking this question on a daily basis.

Today it was when I was in an empty classroom waiting for students come to me for their GT instruction. The school has an empty classroom devoted to the occasional meeting and spontaneous out of district services; all while I offer daily services in a portable without running water or a bathroom. Today it was raining so I went through the protocol to use this empty room and as I watched the clock tick, every minute is one less I get to spend with these students...I think, "is there a better way?"

My answer is yes but often what I say yes to, others say no.

In the State of Maine, gifted services are mandated and fully funded...however, the catch is we are limited to services the top 3-5%. In a district of 2500 students, this means 125 students k-12 are identified. A shockingly small number that has pushed the ceiling of identification standards to mean students must test in the 98th or 99th percentile to be identified. Identification is the worst part of the job.

So how can I use an innovator's mindset to make things better?

1 comment:

  1. Ruth,
    I teach in South Dakota which has nothing required for Gifted. I have my endorsement and taught Gifted for a year. I hear ya.
    The first thing I thought was about students creating a presentation for the school board about the things they could do if they were able to use this empty classroom. How they could care for it, improve it, and how their learning would flourish by having a better learning environment.

    ReplyDelete